Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Favicon for OWA on Exchange 2007

A minor thing but I wanted to use a favicon for our new Exchange Server 2007 Outlook Web Access site (also known as OWA or Outlook Anywhere). It was significantly harder to find the answer to this one than I expected . . . eventually, the secret was found on this developer forum posting. The (slightly modified) answer:

This is done by modifying the asp file for the logon page.

Locate the logon.aspx file. This is usually in ExchangeServer\ClientAccess\Owa\auth

Place the following under the *SECOND* <> tag:
< rel="SHORTCUT ICON" href="favicon.ico">

Note1: You need to remove the space I inserted after the initial "< ". I did this as Blogger interprets the HTML and messes up this post!

Note2: You can change the text between the TITLE tags under the *second* HEAD tag to whatever name you want to call your site. I did this too. Very nice.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi jim
I like to try this too. Could you tell me exactly under which line should we add the mentioned line (dont know how html works)
And do we drop the icon file into the same folder as the logon.aspx file. Thanks.

Jim Cross said...

Hello,

This particular post has really had some difficulties. Blogger seems to have mangled the HTML I posted and I also noticed that the link to the original site on which I found the solution is no longer relevant!

The logon.aspx file I edited is located at:
C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\ClientAccess\owa\auth

I dropped the favicon.ico in the same folder as the logon.aspx.

When I went to look at my logon.aspx file to answer your question, I find that it has been replaced (likely during some patching process?) and my changes are gone! Oddly enough, the favicon is still displayed on my PC when I use OWA. Perhaps it is cached?

The favicon.ico line above is supposed to go under the second head tag, I believe.

Hope this helps,
Jim

Unknown said...

Thanks for the guide Jim. So I tried it out and the favicon still does not seem to show up.
Do you think it would have anything to do with DNS update?

And here is a screenshot of the logon.aspx file. I think I entered html line in the proper location.
http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=jztvt5&s=5

Jim Cross said...

Hello again,

No, this should not be related to DNS.

According to the screen shot you sent, you have inserted the line under the CLOSE tag for first head section. HTML tags usually have an open and a close tag. The close tags have that leading / character. You want to insert the line after the second OPEN head tag (without the slash).

Hope this helps,
Jim

bebob said...

I succeeded getting the favicon working in the logon.aspx.
However, the favicon disappears when accessing the OWA/default.aspx.

Is there a way to show the favicon in the default.aspx?

Jim Cross said...

Hmmm - I see it during the logon as well as after. Perhaps you need to put a copy of the favicon.ico one level up (where the default.aspx file is located) as well? -- C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\ClientAccess\Owa

I had a copy of it here as well while I was working on solving this problem initially.

I did not need to edit the default.aspx file.

EH said...

Jim, you're a genius. Thanks for the help - it worked first time!

Alex said...

I like to solve problems, but once I couldn't solve the one. And I by chance found out a probability solution for my and this proposition too - repair edb file.