Monday, May 30, 2005

Getting Primavera Project Planner (P3) to run quickly on Terminal Server

After installing P3 (an old 16-bit version) on my Win2K3 terminal server, I noticed that performance was pathetic - intolerable, actually. There is a permissions problem as well but I don't have a solution to that one yet. Maybe I'll work on that as time permits - but not a big deal as I'm the only one to use it.

Anyway, after trying a few other things I found a posting somewhere that suggested I run the program once immediately after I had installed it but before I returned to execute mode (clicked on "finish" in the add/remove programs dialog). I did this and noticed that the program ran quickly! However, after I left install mode and returned to execute mode performance was back to pathetic. Something in execute mode was causing the problem.

I found an enlightning Microsoft article at: http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/ts_cmd_changeuser.mspx that describes the operation of the Change User comand.

While poking around on google groups with my friend Tony I found this seemingly unrelated article:
Google Groups : corel.wpoffice.office2002-installs

The secret is in program compatibility flags!
Reference: http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windowsserver2003/library/ServerHelp/31655e26-f0f2-44e3-af91-f0b7d406f531.mspx.

So, to solve, I created the following key:
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\M­icrosoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVers­ion\TerminalServer\Compatibili­ty\Applications\P3]

And I then created a new DWORD entry: Flags = 0x00000404

And that's it.

No comments: